My sister went to the Maldives. I am still anxious about travelling during the pandemic so was not very keen. However, I am lucky to have her because she got me exactly what I would have bought myself, noodles! I always ask people I know to get me noodles from all over the world when they travel so I get to try new brands and flavours. I got to try Kottu Me from Prima and this is a completely new noodle brand for me, but bring it on!

Prima Kottu Mee Hot & Spicy Instant Cup Noodles Review, Kottu mee, Srilankan Noodles, Southeast asian food, food, blog, instant noodle review, noodle review, noodles review, top food blog of pakistan, pakistani food blog, global food blog, noodles, recipes, spicy noodles, cup a noodles

Prima is a Sri Lankan brand and apparently the most preferred instant noodle brand in the country. Also on further research, I found out that "Kottu" means chopped Roti (flatbread) in Sri Lankan and "Mee" is Noodles. The Kottu Mee instant noodles are available in both cup and packet packaging. I got the cup and the flavour was Hot and Spicy. The only place I could locate that had flavour options was an online Sri Lankan store called Glomark. You can check all flavours HERE.

Prima Kottu Mee Hot & Spicy Instant Cup Noodles Review, Kottu mee, Srilankan Noodles, Southeast asian food, food, blog, instant noodle review, noodle review, noodles review, top food blog of pakistan, pakistani food blog, global food blog, noodles, recipes, spicy noodles, cup a noodles

The cup is 64g so you can have this as an afternoon snack or a midnight extra meal maybe as it won't serve as a full meal unless you eat very small portions. It contains instant noodles, a seasoning sachet, an oil sachet and a foldable, disposable fork. I have never been able to use these forks and always found them annoying. Do let me know your thoughts about them too, I find them a waste of space and plastic, to be honest. The Packet variants retail at 70 Srilankan Rupees which is 60 rupees in Pakistan so VERY REASONABLE!

Prima Kottu Mee Ingredients

Noodles: Wheat Flour, RBD Palm Olien, Redefined Salt, Corn Starch, Potassium Carbonate.

Seasoning: Refined Salt, Refined Sugar, Yeast Extract, Corn Starch, Hydrolyzed Plant Protein, Chilli Powder, White Pepper Powder, Onion Powder, Caramel Powder, Flavour Enhancers used Monosodium Glutamate (INS 621), Disodium 5'Inosinate (INS 631), Tomato Powder, Natural Identical Chicken Flavour, Black Pepper Powder, Citric Acid, Dextrose Monohydrate, Dried Carrot, Dried Leeks, Dried Cabbage, Permitted Food Coloring [Tartrazine (INS 102)].

Oil: RDB Palm Olein, Onion, Chilli Powder.

Prima Kottu Mee Hot & Spicy Instant Cup Noodles Review, Kottu mee, Srilankan Noodles, Southeast asian food, food, blog, instant noodle review, noodle review, noodles review, top food blog of pakistan, pakistani food blog, global food blog, noodles, recipes, spicy noodles, cup a noodles

Prima Kottu Mee Hot & Spicy Instant Cup Noodles Review, Kottu mee, Srilankan Noodles, Southeast asian food, food, blog, instant noodle review, noodle review, noodles review, top food blog of pakistan, pakistani food blog, global food blog, noodles, recipes, spicy noodles, cup a noodles

An easy simple way of preparation: 

  • Peel of lid off
  • Add seasoning and oil, 
  • Add boiling water till the water level indicated on the outside of the box
  • Patiently wait and stare and the cup with the top closed for 4 to 6 minutes (or longer depending on how well done you like your noodles
  • Mix up the content, slurp and enjoy!

The noodles are not very firm and chewy but still have a decent desirable texture. They also taste flavourful and not bland on their own and absorb the soup flavour well. The soup is a nice blend of spices. I appreciate the fact it doesn't have a weird artificial after taste which I have experienced in some cup noodles. The broth is spicy but also bearable and does not numb. Spices are enough to give a heat kick along with a delightfully tangy, umami flavour profile. I got a subtle curry flavour hint. 

Overall, good flavours and noodles. Glad to add this to my good noodle experience list and if I do find these might repurchase too. Great for a quick snack!

The packet version is available on Amazon.