Recently Umaima Mustafa launched herself with her first designer collection at TDAP 2013. She didn't take baby steps and went all out by unveiling herself through this event. Even though it's no surprise to see the daughter of FarahNaz Mustafa (senior designer) to follow the footsteps of her mother, as far as designs are concerned they are quite different.

Umaima's Debut collection may not be out of this world but it was certainly not blah either. It looked promising and the potential radar of future success is quite high.




I did a short QA session with Umaima recently which I am sharing with you all so we can get a bit of WHO WHAT WHY of the designer :)

1)What made you chose Fashion and not any other profession?

As far as other professions goes, I feel I explored other areas that I was interested in but did not get the fulfillment I was looking for. I have a BA from UMASS-Amherst in Political Science and Women Studies, after which I did my LLB from the University of London. I spent a few years working as a lawyer here in Karachi, which was an interesting experience. I decided a few months ago that I needed to work on something that came to me a lot more naturally and allow me to apply my inspirations in a practical, tangible way… I started designing my own clothes at a very young age, once I moved back from the US my mother had started her own label. Watching her work and create beautiful pieces fascinated me to no end that’s when I knew I would eventually start my own brand. It took a few years for the dream to fully materialize but I am glad I took that first step despite initial reservations. 

2)Describe your style (of your work) in three words

Classic, Elegant, Timeless

3)How would your friends describe you?

I would not dare speak on their behalf; you will have to ask them. I have a small group of close friends that I am very comfortable with.

4)What fashion trends interest you the most? 

I do not necessarily gravitate towards particular trends, for me it has always been classic with a little edge depending on the season.

5)How do you stay up to date with trends and Fashion forecasts?

I see inspiration in the unconventional and try to incorporate it in my work. At times it may be abstract or sometimes something that is natural and is beautiful…It is definitely not a conscious effort, “fashion” surrounds us even if we don’t go out looking for it. I do however, religiously follow a few fashion blogs but that has always been the case even before I decided to start my own line.

6) What are your Goals for the next year as a Fashion Designer?

I want to make outfits that are easy to wear and understand, appropriate for any age group, and last but not least flattering to the female silhouette. We will be launching officially in December, so all my efforts will be focused on that for now…

7)What was the last thing you ate and drank? 

Started my day with coffee.

8)What color lipstick are you wearing (were wearing) last?

Ruby Woo-Mac <3

9)Who is your favorite international Fashion Designer?

There isn't one particular designer I would say is my favorite. Having said that, I do love Balmain for their amazingly structured and timeless jackets. Eli Saab, Valentino, Zuhair Murad for their breathtaking dresses. Neil Lane's jewelry and I could go on and on and on...

10)Whats one word that comes to your mind right now?

WEEKEND!