Last weekend, though I was having dizzy spells due to my recovery from Malaria, I still mustered up some strength and went to the "Dekho Japan" expo/event in PC (pearl Continental), Karachi. The Event was organized by Metal Seinen. More than anything I was interested in checking out their Cosplay roundup. Other things on the schedule which were also impressive were the anime fan art. It was a good GT for the Otaku's of Karachi (if not Pakistan).

I was slightly disappointed when I entered the hall. When I think of Japan and Anime together I see color, craziness and graphic. Nothing of the sort was present. Just basic stalls, seating and stage for program schedules and talks. I must say the effort to bring something like this together definitely gets brownie points though I truly wish the set up is more creative next time :) I also hope (and willing to help) to promote the event more next year. Promotion and marketing should be done more extensively but I am sure (coming from an advertising background) there are budget constraints and limitations.

Firstly for those who are wondering anime what? cosplay who?

ANIME (I get offended when people say cartoon instead!): In Japan, the term anime refers to all forms of animation from around the world. English-language dictionaries define anime as "a Japanese style of motion-picture animation" or as "a style of animation developed in Japan". Anime is a diverse art form with distinctive production methods and techniques that have been adapted over time in response to emergent technologies. The production of anime differs from Disney animation by focusing less on the animation of movement and more on the realism of settings as well as the use of camera effects, including panning, zooming and angle shots. No single art style exists and character proportions and features can be quite varied, including characteristically large emotive or realistically sized eyes. (Source Wikipedia)

COSPLAY (not Halloween!): Short for "costume play", is a performance art in which participants wear costumes and accessories to represent a specific character or idea. Cosplayers often interact to create a subculture centered on role play. A broader use of the term cosplay applies to any costumed role play in venues apart from the stage, regardless of the cultural context. Favorite sources include manga, anime, comic books, video games, and films. Any entity from the real or virtual world that lends itself to dramatic interpretation may be taken up as a subject. Inanimate objects are given anthropomorphic forms and it is not unusual to see genders switched, with women playing male roles and vice versa. (Source Wikipedia)

Sadly Anime and Cosplay are still considered child's play in Pakistan so I mostly saw youngsters dressed up and no adults as such. The only adults were some audience members. I have been an Anime and Cosplay addict since way back. I always craved for cosplays and comic cons in Pakistan. Not everyone cant afford to attend these abroad every year :/ though I am definitely attending the next MEFCC :)

What Metal Seinen did was truly a great step forward and I really hope it gets better every year. I know that a concept like this is quite hard to pull off in Pakistan. I consider Cosplay an art form. I was too sick to make a costume this time but next year for sure!

The Cosplay, the main focus of this Blog, was a great effort considering it doesn't happen much. I am posting some pics as they will do justice rather me blabbing further. I will point out that Sabastien (from Black Butler) and Ryuk (from Death Note) were my favorite :) The Cosplayers, guys if you are reading this, please go even crazier next time :)

P.s: Thanks to Alyna Hasan Jaffery for the Photos :)
Howl and Ichigo
Ichigo
Shinobi
Monkey D.Luffy 
Plump Ichigo and Darth Maul :)
L (Death Note)
Orihime (Bleach) and Howl
Ryuk (Death Note)
Alucard (Hellsing) 
Misa Mane (Death Note)
Hashirama Senju (Naruto)
Darth Maul and Sabastien (Black Butler)