Mapo Tofu, also called Mapo Doufu , is a popular Chinese dish from Sichuan province. The name
means pockmarked old woman because Ma (pockmarked) and po (old Lady). Sounds interesting? Well, it tastes even better, being one of the most authentic Chinese dishes you'll ever taste, unlike those wannabe ones available locally which mostly just tastes like chilli garlic sauce or tomatoes. My mother ended up eating (and enjoying) it even though she hates tofu, so I must have done something right...right?

MAPO TOFU, Mapo Doufu, Chinese food, Chinese cuisine, Pan Asian food, Homemade chinese food, Chinese recipes, Food blog, top food blog, Top food blog in Pakistan, Food Lover, Foodie, Spicy Chinese Dish Recipe

Last month I travelled to Lahore, Pakistan for a day because I was invited to an event. During my extremely short trip, my friends took me to  Bamboo Union because they know I absolutely love Asian food. The first dish I tried there was Mapo Tofu and I instantly fell in love. Upon my return to Karachi, I looked everywhere but alas, this dish was not available in any restaurant. The cravings did not subside so I took matters into my own hands, rolled up my sleeves and went in search of the ingredients (and alternatives), which took a week before I was finally able to execute Mapo Tofu.

As I have already mentioned, Mapo Tofu is a spicy, yet savoury, Chinese dish. It is definitely hot enough to make you sweat (depending on the amount of chilli oil and chilli flakes you use!). The dish is not as complicated as the ingredients, but I managed to get hold of most of them as well as great alternatives. Let's begin!

INGREDIENTS

  • Finely chop 1 big / 2 small garlic clove
  • Finely chop 1 thumb of ginger
  • Finely chop white part on spring onions
  • Bias chop the green parts
  • 1 tbsp roasted Sichuan peppercorns. then grind or bash (Alternative: Mix of black peppercorn and coriander seeds)
  • Tofu Cut into 1-inch cubes
  • 100g ground Chicken or Beef mince (Chinese use Pork Mince)
  • 1 heaped tbsp DOU BAN JIANG (Alternative: chilli paste with soya bean oil)
  • 2 tsp douchi (Alternative: Black Bean Sauce or Paste)
  • 1 tbsp cornstarch diluted in 3 tbsp water (this is also called slurry)
  • Chilli oil
  • Sesame oil
  • Steamed/Boiled Garlic Rice or Brown Rice (enough for 4 to 5 servings)
  • Vegetable Oil

MAPO TOFU, Mapo Doufu, Chinese food, Chinese cuisine, Pan Asian food, Homemade chinese food, Chinese recipes, Food blog, top food blog, Top food blog in Pakistan, Food Lover, Foodie, Spicy Chinese Dish Recipe

DIRECTIONS

Boil some water with a bit of salt and add tofu cubes. Boil the tofu for 2 to 3 minutes. This will firm the tofu. Drain and set aside.

In a wok heat 2 tbsp of vegetable oil and add the mince. Fry until almost cooked, then add 1 heaped tbsp Dou Ban Jiang and 2 tsp douchi then stir. Add ginger, garlic and spring onions (white part only) and stir fry for a minute or so but not too much. You don't want to burn them. Deglaze by adding 2/3 cup of water and then bring to boil after which you can add the slurry and stir. The slurry will thicken the gravy. Add tofu and gently stir, making sure you don't break it. Now drizzle chilli oil generously, or as per taste followed by some sesame oil.

Transfer to a serving dish and garnish with ground Sichuan, spring onions (green part) and chilli flakes. Serve with a bowl of rice on the side and enjoy!

Serves 4 people.

I really enjoyed this dish, from searching for the ingredients to cooking it and finally gobbling it up.