Erum Khan became even more apparent after her ramp debut this year in PFDC Sunsilk Fashion Week 2015 with her "The Untainted Shine" Collection. With showstoppers like Gohar Mumtaz and his lovely wife Anam no one could deny the promise this designer holds. You get a chance to know Erum more with this intimate one on one chat.















Born in Lahore and settled in Islamabad, Erum graduated with an MBA degree but the love of fashion was too strong not to be pursued. The eponymous brand Erum Khan dwells in formal, semi-formal, party and bridal wear and is driven by “timeless style and effortless femininity”.
What does fashion mean to you?
Fashion to me means loving and pampering yourself. One should always enjoy it and not stress over it. It is very important to wear something you are comfortable in.

When did you realize you wanted to become a fashion designer?
I always enjoyed creating my own clothes. This eventually led to me designing for family and close friends. That is when I realized that I want to be a designer.

How do your designs differ or stand out from the rest?
I think my designs are very wearable. I understand what my target audience wants, and design according to what I feel they would be comfortable wearing and at the same time look good in.


How long does it usually take you to construct an item and what is it dependent on?
It depends on the article. It might be ready in a couple of hours, or it might take days based on the amount of work it requires. Hand work embellishments take the most time.

Describe the general process you go through to design and realize a piece of clothing.
As a designer, anything can inspire me. Once I have something in my head, I start with sketching it. The next step is choosing the color palette and material. Once the embellishments are done, it is stitched. 




What are your general professional and non-professional interests?
I love doing a lot of creative things. Painting is one of my major interests. I love doing it to unwind. Sketching is also something that I really enjoy doing, and it helps a lot with my work too.

How would you define your city's fashion?
I think Islamabad is very laid back when it comes to fashion (in a good way).

What do you believe makes a quality article of clothing?
First and foremost, the material. Secondly, the stitching.

Do you consider yourself an artist?
I do consider myself an artist, as my passion for painting and sketching is what brought me here.

What matters to you most as a fashion designer?
The most important thing is making sure my customers are satisfied.

What's your favorite part about conceptualizing a design?My favorite part is coming up with unique cuts, silhouettes and color combinations.  

What are your favorite colors to work with and why?I love basic colors like black, shades of white and nudes because the possibilities of styling them are endless.

What are your favorite fabrics to work with and why?
I love silk because of its luxurious feel, and georgettes because of its gorgeous fall.

What are your favorite patterns [prints] to work with and why?
I love polka dots and stripes; they’re timeless and very fun. I also love coming up with my own versions of florals. 

How would you define your personal style?
For me, comfort always comes first. I like wearing comfortable clothes which suit my personality.

What are some of your accomplishments as a designer?
I just showcased at the PFDC Sunsilk Fashion Week 2015. This was my debut at the prestigious platform of PFDC. Previously I have showcased at the Bridal Couture Week and Telenor Fashion Weekend. I will also be showcasing at the upcoming Bridal Couture Week.




What are some of your fashion goals?
My fashion goals are to promote the extraordinary craftsmen of our country to the world.

You can find out more about Erum Khan and her clothes  from here: